World Class Athletes and Related Occupations
Canada provides excellent job opportunities to a number of different athletes, coaches and staff from around the globe. However, the rule for getting a work permit is completely dependent on the team for which they are working or playing. If an athlete or a staff is representing a foreign-oriented team or acts as an individual athlete representing a foreign nation then they will not require any work permit to come and work in Canada. However, if a foreign athlete is joining a Canada-based sports team or intending to represent Canada in sports events, they will require a valid work permit. But in such cases, LMIA exemptions are offered to the Canadian employer thereby making the process of obtaining a work permit much easier.
Convention Organizers:
Organising a convention, event or seminar is not an easy task. It also creates short-term job opportunities for many people. Thus, if the organiser of the event is a foreign national, the issue of work permits may rise. Whether a convention organizer would require a work permit depends on certain factors, which are:
  • Firstly, the role of the foreign national plays an important role in determining the exemption of the work permit. If the individual has an active or hands-on role in organising the event then they will require a work permit.
  • On the other hand, if the individual has a supervisory or passive role in organizing the convention or event then the work permit exemption can be provided.
  • Moreover, if the convention is held by a Canadian organisation then a foreign convention organizer would require a work permit. Nonetheless, if it is a foreign event then the work permit will be exempted without any trouble.
Guest Speakers in Canada:
Different conventions, seminars and events are held in Canadian cities from time to time and they also feature different guest speakers or lecturers. However, whether a foreign guest speaker needs to apply for a work permit depends on the duration and type of their work mostly. If a guest speaker is speaking at an event for only 5 days or less, they do not need to apply for a work permit provided their activities in Canada should not have any impact on the Canadian labour market. Also, it must be noted that the 5 days duration is calculated on the basis of the number of days the speaker is actually speaking at the event. Nevertheless, if a foreign guest speaker is coming to Canada for a larger duration of time to teach a course or to participate in an event that spans over several weeks, they will need to apply for a work permit beforehand to be allowed to participate.