Temporary Resident Visa
When you visit Canada on a Visitor Visa, it allows you to stay for a period of 6 months at max. After 6 months, the legal temporary status expires and one must leave Canada.
People living in Canada as a visitor can apply for a visitor record that extends the period of stay in Canada. Although the visitor record is not a visitor visa, it’s a status document that has an extended expiry date.
In order to avail of the Visitor Record for an extended stay, you must apply at least 30 days before the expiry of the Visitor Visa. Even if you belong to a visa-exempt country, you need to apply for the Visitor Record when you want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months. So, you will obtain the Temporary Resident Visa status and you can stay for a limited period of time.