Work While Studying
Canada is one of the most popular and sought-after destinations for future studies because it allows foreign national students to work, have stable income and experience while living as temporary residents.
The study permit allows students to work up to 20 hours a week and full-time during breaks and holidays.
Eligibility for Work While Studying
A student is eligible to work both on and off-campus if he/she is enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DIL). No work permit is required but students need to get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to start working.
Added information for Work While Studying

On-campus Work – Students can directly work with employers within the university for added income and work experience.

Off-Campus Work – With this, a student can start working with any individual or institution outside their university.

Post-Graduation Work Permit – PGWP is an open work permit that you can get after completion of the graduation degree course. It is your permit to stay in Canada for work purposes.

Exceptions to work while studying
Students looking into work requirements like an internship needs to obtain a co-op or intern work permit. Some important requirements are:
  • A valid study permits and a study program that requires work
  • Confirmation letter stating the need for work to complete the program
  • You must get 50% or less of the total study credit program from the work
Selecting English/French as a second language and doing study programs that can be completed in 6 months or less will not get you a work permit.
Candidates who are not full-time students may be authorized to work if
  • The last semester of your study program doesn’t require you to study full-time.
  • You are studying at the graduate level and have successfully completed the given assignments in advance