Study Without A Study Permit
International students looking to study in Canada require a valid and legal study permit. However, a few situations can allow you to study in Canada without a Study Permit.
According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), you do not need a study permit for the following circumstances:
  • If you belong to the family or you are a member of the staff of a foreign ambassador, member of United Nations, or member of any international agency that includes Canada. Also, foreign representatives who are consular officers or doing diplomatic
    duties authorized by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade can have their family members study without a study permit.
  • If you are part of a designated country’s armed forces or you are accompanying someone who is employed in armed forces.
  • If you are choosing a study program that will be completed in 6 months or less.
  • If you are an Indian falling under the Registered Indian Act.
  • If you or the applicant is a minor doing pre-school, primary, or secondary education.
Benefits of Study Permit
When you have a study permit, you can work on-campus and off-campus while you are studying. After completion, one can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) for Canadian work experience.