Study Permit
Studying in Canada as an international student requires a study permit that’s issued by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). However, if your program’s duration is less than 6 months you do not need a study permit.
Eligibility for Study Permit
You will need the following to be eligible for the permit
  • DLI issued an acceptance letter
  • Sufficient financial resources for staying and studying
  • No criminal offences and medical exam if required
Programs offered understudy permits
An international student can apply for either of the three types of study permits

Work While studying – This permit allows you to work without a work permit throughout the duration of your study program.

Working Off-Campus – If you want to work with an employer outside the university, this program allows up to 20 hours of off-campus work per week.
Student Direct Stream– International students can avail of the SDS to accelerate the process of a study permit. However, you must provide a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) and you belong from an eligible country.
Process of getting the permit
Once the study permit is approved, students will receive a Letter of Introduction (LOI) along with a Temporary Resident Visa. In case you belong to a visa-exempt country, you will need to get Electronic Travel Authorization(eTA).
Added information about the study permits
  • Extending or renewing the study permit is an option international students can avail for changing or extending the period of stay. Applicants must submit for an extension before the expiry of the current permit.
  • Spouses and Families of International students can apply for an open work permit and request authorization alongside the study permit.
Processing time
Your country of residence decides how much time it may take to complete the process. It can be weeks or even months depending on the current immigration status.